We aim to help children to:
- Recognise when they are in the different Zones and learn how to change or stay in the Zone they are in.
- Increase their emotional vocabulary so they can explain how they are feeling.
- Recognise when other people are in different Zones, thus developing better empathy.
- Develop an insight into what might make them move into the different Zones.
- Understand that emotions, sensory experiences such as lack of sleep or hunger and their environment might influence which Zone they are in.
- Understand that the size of a reaction should match the size of the problem. We aim for children to be able to identify the size of the problem and think of strategies for problem-solving.
- Identify a range of calming and alerting strategies that support them (known as their personal ‘toolkit’).
- Explore expected vs unexpected behaviours and how these affect the thoughts and feelings of those around them.