In all that we do, we believe that our children can and do make a positive difference in their school environment, in their local community, in the wider community and as responsible Global Citizens.
- There are strongly established links between our parish and school community.
- As part of our multi-faith teaching, linked to our ‘Come and See’ RE scheme we are exploring links between other faith communities through our involvement with other schools and visits to a variety of places of worship.
- Each year at Harvest time we encourage our children to donate non-perishable goods which are donated to the local food bank.
- In December we participate in a Christingle Service (a tradition originating in Germany) with St’. John’s School.
- As part of our Epiphany celebrations we ask for donations of items useful to mothers and babies. These are then given to Gabriel Court in Rochdale which provides care and accommodation for young mothers and their babies.
- We also support Castleton Amateur Dramatics Society, who make use of our hall to stage a pantomime during Spring half term.
- The school choir is involved in a number of events including singing at the local Castleton Christmas lights switch on and at our local Old People’s home during December.
- Our local Councilor, Mr. Billy Sheerin, is a frequent visitor to the school and ensures that we play an active part in Rochdale in Bloom each year. We have also worked with the local Coop to promote Fair Trade.
- Our Summer fair is supported by local businesses who provide raffle prizes and hire stalls.
- During Lent each year our children contribute to the St. Joseph’s Penny collection which is used by Caritas to fund local causes.
- We work closely with CAFOD, whose representatives have presented assemblies on global issues and have worked with our CARITAS in Action/ GIFT Chaplaincy team, enabling them to take a greater lead in exploring life in our Global ‘village’.
- We support CAFOD’s World Gifts scheme and often participate in the Rotary Shoe Box Scheme.
- Our CARITAS in Action/ GIFT Chaplaincy team organises support for Mission Together by selling hand-made crafts, such as Mexican ‘God’s Eyes’, at our annual Carols Around the Tree celebration.
- In addition we respond to unforeseen world events and emergencies.
- At Christmas staff choose make a donation to charity, rather sending Christmas cards.